Noninvasive Treatment for Bruxism
If stress or a poor bite is causing you to grind your teeth, the next question is how to stop the problem before it grows worse. Dr. Han recommends comfortable and customized treatments for all of his patients, which may vary depending on their individual needs. In most cases, the effects of bruxism decrease significantly with the use of a custom-made night guard.
A bruxism night guard protects against teeth grinding during sleep. Although you may continue to clench or grind your teeth, the night guard will take on the majority of the pressure so that your teeth are left unharmed.
Dr. Han can create a custom night guard to reduce your bruxism systems. He will measure your mouth and teeth and build a night guard to meet those exact specifications. This perfect fit will make your teeth grinding treatment completely comfortable.
Dr. Han may recommend making lifestyle changes to improve your health and reduce teeth grinding. He may suggest:
- Sleeping more
- Avoiding chewing gum and other hard-to-chew foods
- Relaxing the jaw throughout the day
- Reducing stress
- Drinking more water
- Avoiding alcohol and caffeine (both substances can increase the urge to clench the teeth)
You can also manage teeth grinding pain at home by utilizing the following suggestions.
- Massage the jaw muscles, neck, and face to ease tension
- Get physical therapy or visit a chiropractor
- Do jaw-relaxing exercises
- Apply a warm and wet washcloth to the jaw
- Take muscle relaxants as prescribed
Dr. Han will give you all of the information and tools you need to properly manage bruxism. To protect your teeth against the effects of teeth grinding, contact our office today.